Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

...but I don't recall Mama Fitz saying anything about there being weeks like this.

A week where everything is absolutely perfect. A week that you feel is so rom-comy, it could be a montage written by Nancy Meyer herself with the peppy "Mama Said" song overlay.

THAT was the week I had while Brenden was visiting.

During our senior year of high school, Brenden and I had both discussed how much we wanted to go to New York University for college. I didn't get accepted to NYU's Tisch School of the Arts and Brenden ended up not applying, so my dreams of us frolicking around the city together were dashed.

Fortunately for me, we started dating, he came to visit for our two year anniversary, and my dreams of us frolicking around the city together were alive and well.

Boy, did we frolick.

I won't sit here and bore you with a list of everything we did; I get it, that wouldn't be fun to read. I also won't sit here and gush about how Brenden is literally the best boyfriend in the entire world; we can save that for if we ever have a sleepover and stay-up late whispering in our sleeping bags after giving each other make-overs and eating too much junk food. I will sit here, however, and tell you that we had a fantastic time.

Since it was Brenden's first time in the city, we did all the tourist-y stuff, which honestly, I love! I know to be a "true New Yorker", you are suppose to hate all of that, but I really do think it's fun! The insane bustle of Times Square, the tranquility of Central Park, the magnificence of Grand Central station; I realized I had spent these last nine weeks focused on working and discovering new non-tourist-trap areas, so I loved going back to see the classics!

Many of the days were spent hopping on-and-off subways and weaving through the crowds hand-in-hand so we could make sure Brenden could see all of the significant sights, but there were a few moments where we slowed down a bit, and they were really special. Moments where I just looked up at the sky and smiled.

On our two year anniversary, we went to the top of Rockefeller Center and I was left in awe. I still can't figure out how to describe it. Not only was it aesthetically pleasing, but it just showed how--awesome--(for a lack of a better word) New York City is. It was breathtaking.



It was here that we read our anniversary letters we wrote to each other. I was so elated, in such a lovey-dovey mood, I wanted to run all 67 floors of the Rockefeller Center yelling, "I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!". Instead, I posted it on facebook. Typical social media intern, am I right?


The other moment took place in Central Park, at the Bethesda Terrace and Fountain. Maybe it was all the couples running around taking engagement/wedding photos, but I was just so happy to sit there with Brenden and enjoy life. As cheesy as that sounds.


Okay, I'd like to apologize. This came off a little more gushy than I intended. But I can't help it! Mama said there'd be days like this. She is absolutely right. Like she always is.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Stop Felicia. That was the cutest thing I have ever read! You deserve all the happiness in the world!! <3

    Lindsey :)

    ReplyDelete