Monday, August 13, 2012

If You Can Make It Here, You Can Make It Anywhere: Part 2


It has been 71 days since I have packed my bags, flew to New York City, lost my wallet, and started my 10 week journey of living in the city that never sleeps.

And yet, it feels like yesterday.

Isn’t that how the saying goes anyways? Time flies when you’re having fun?

I’m not sure how to describe how incredibly grateful and happy I am to have had this experience, and I think that’s okay. Even though I had 24 intern friends, two roommates, and had loved ones visit, no one will quite understand the experience I’ve had because it was all mine! These past 10 weeks have been very personalized, individualized, and Felicia-ized. 

My DoSomething.org internship was nothing short of life-changing. I learned more than I thought I would. Apparently there is more to social media than just posting cute pictures of myself with a witty caption-- who knew? ;) I learned more than social media, but about non-profits, people, and myself. The environment at DoSomething.org is so...perfect. Collaborative, inspiring, innovative, and then some. And let’s not forget the snacks. And let’s not forget the people! I feel closer to these people in 10 weeks than I did with the people I went to high school with for four years (just sayin). We truly became a family, which was evident from the abundant amount of tears we all shared on our last day. We had so much fun this summer, and yet got so much work done too. Shoot, I worked my butt off!  The work did pay off though, because during my end-of-the-internship meeting, Calvin expressed how proud of me he was :)

Calvin, my flawless supervisor
Interns on the last day!


The only thing I do regret is not immersing myself into more theater and dance. It’s like the epicenter for all of that, and I don’t think I took advantage of it. Of course, the two Broadway shows I did see were probably the best experiences I could ask for. When I saw Anything Goes with my mom, we were able to go backstage and I got to dance part of the Anything Goes choreography on center stage. Then, when Brenden was in town, we sat in the front row to watch Wicked. Not too shabby in my opinion. I also took a few theater jazz classes at the Alvin Ailey studios, which literally was a dream come true. My eighth grade self was screaming! It was great to take classes at the same studio as the dancers do who have inspired me since fifth grade. I went to a class on my last day in the city, and we did a fun, high-energy piece from Jesus Christ Superstar. It was pretty fast-paced which set me up for some fumbles, but it didn’t even matter because I was literally SO HAPPY to be dancing. I noticed I was involuntarily smiling and just letting my body do it’s thang. 

As I was riding the subway home, I wanted to kick back and listen to my New York playlist (yes, it exists) and reminisce over the past 10 weeks. But in true, unpredictable NYC fashion, I ended up talking to two guys about the city and life, and I realized I really had come full circle. I started this journey by losing my wallet, the world trying to humble me and tell me I have to just roll with the punches. During the last 10 weeks, so many other things have happened that I never expected (read: mouse and cockroaches) and I learned to just deal with them. Then during that last subway ride, here the world was again, telling me to just relax and enjoy life. It isn’t just about what happens to you, it’s how you react to it.

Leaving for the airport!
I really am proud of myself for making it through these 10 weeks and only crying once. I can truly say I have lived in New York City! And honestly, I feel invincible. After all, if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment