Friday, July 20, 2012

One Is The Loneliest Number

It's true, one can be the loneliest number.

20 can also be the loneliest number when your friends are all over 21 years-of-age.

The last time I was this aware of my age was in fifth grade when I had to lie and say I was born in 1986 (making me at the legal age of 13) to sign up for AIM.

It's not even that I have this intense desire to drink alcohol, I just want to hang out with my friends! I'd be fine with a cherry coke, really! I just hate being the young one that can't go out because I'm five months from being 21. I mean, I'm so close to 21, I can smell the cosmopolitan I want to have as my first legal drink! 

Me and my 21/22 year-old friends

There are so many things in the city that you have to be 21 years-old to do. Don't worry, I know it's New York City, and I realize how many great things I can do without being 21 years-old. I realize how many great things I have done without being 21-years-old. It just seems that for an optimal New York City experience, you have to be over 21. Concerts and dinners-- there's professional networking events I can't attend because I'm not 21 years-old. That hurts more than the scene in The Lion King when Mufasa dies. It's really frustrating. I think we can now all realize why Adele skipped a '20' album and went straight to '21'.

I know this may sound like a horribly whiny post, and really, I'm okay because I'm far from lonely. My friends have done a tremendous job in including me in their plans. I just haven't thought about my age like this in a long time. I guess at college I'm too busy going to class, procrastinating on homework, and re-eancting Broadway musicals to notice!

No comments:

Post a Comment